Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Beginning










So, I have wanted to start a blog for a while. I have "blogged" in various places over the years - The Wedding Channel when I was getting married, The Wedding Channel (parenting section) when I was pregnant with Nicolas, and after he was born. Then I moved over to Live Journal. And now I find myself wanting to share what's going on with us with Family... not just a "friends' list" of online people I have met over the years. So here we are.

I really wanted to start this last Monday (Aug 25), on Nicolas' first day of kndergarten. So I have some catch up to do.
Nicolas is going to Legacy Traditional School. It's a "back to the basics" charter school. I am not 100% comfortable with my/our decision to send him there. They are very strict, but I know he will get a great education there. They teach one grade level ahead. But they are a little "old fashioned" in their teaching... even for kindergarten there is no floor time, no group tables... they sit in desks lined up in rows (just like when I was a kid!) I am not impressed (so far) with his teacher... she seems ok with the kids, and Nicolas likes her... it's just with me she seems to not care if I exist. She and I are team players in my son's education... but I don't feel like she is treating me like I am on her team. But I admit it's early yet. So I am keeping an open mind.
The major thing going on is the construction. Or lack of it. They are in portables, and for the second year in a row (the school is just starting it's second year) construction is way behind. But there are not enough portables. So for the first few weeks, there is a morning session and an afternoon session. 3 hours a day, instead of the full day kinder he was supposed to be in. I was dreading the full day (I am sure Nicolas would have been fine though). So I am thrilled he is only going three hours a day for now. 8-11am (I was thrilled to have the morning session to!).

There is a dress code, which is typical for this area. Here is our little kindergardener on his first day of school - notice the shirt untucked. I found out on that first day that shirts need to be tucked in. So we now tuck in his shirts for school (roll eyes).

This school uses Saxon and Spalding methods of teaching. They certainly are different. So far last week Nicolas did phonograms A O and C. And the numbers 1-4. We need to read 15 minutes per day. In all, the homework is ok. He had a "test" on his phonograms and got 8/8. What a smart boy!

So, let's talk about our other children. Emma is a junior now! (For my Canadian families... that's 11th grade). So far so good. She's doing well, and has had great test results so far. She has a couple AP courses (good towards college credits if she passes the AP test (that I have to pay for) at the end of the year. There really isn't a whole lot going on with Emma... so how about a picture? (It's hazy because of the sun)

It's late, so let's talk about Max now. He's 18.5 months. He gets into everything. Very active little toddler. Nothing like Nicolas was at that age. But he is a slow talker like Nicolas. Max says Mama and just started saying Dada. He says Emma sometimes. And uh oh. That's it. He signs milkies, water, more, food, please, bath. He points at everything and says a lot of "uh". He loves to point at airplanes and birds in the sky. He loves to read books (ones that are touch and feel). He loves swimming and playing outside. He can point to his eyes, ears, nose, hair, head, chin, toes, "tickle belly" (and tickles it) and his hands and feet. He's such a cute little guy. And boy does he love his brother!

One last thing I want to mention about Nicolas... our little sports jock. He's in Karate and has advance to a Camo belt. Which means he spars now. He took a hard kick to the chest last week. We were so pissed off... a "recommended red" belt was in his class (probably a year or two older) and kicked him HARD. I guess he got the wind knocked out of him. I knew as soon as it happened he wanted to cry, but fought back the tears. I knew he wa shurt. The instructor lifted his hands over his head and tried to help him... I just wanted him to come to me so I could hold him and comfort him. He most certainly did cry when he came over to me. But he wanted to get right back in there. That little boy is no longer allowed to punch or kick (or make physical contact) and he was talked to, as were his parents. Nicolas told him at the next class "I need to keep my hands up so you can't hurt me again". :) Here's a pic of Nicolas in his sparring gear.

No comments: