Sunday, November 16, 2008

Thanksgiving vs Christmas



I found a radio station that plays all Christmas music on Sirius Satellite. It's the "pre-Thanksgiving" Christmas music. I love Christmas music. I love all things Christmas. And I thought everyone felt the same. But recently I received a Meme (you know, one of those emails that asks you a bunch of personal questions, then you forward it to all your friends?) and one question on it was "What is your favorite holiday?" The person who sent me this one answered "Thanksgiving". Hmmmmm. How can Thanksgiving be preferred over Christmas? I mean... there are no Thanksgiving presents. I admit Thanksgiving is pumped up more here in the US than back home in Canada. (And yes, we do celebrate Thanksgiving in Canada... it's in October). And Black Friday (which I had never heard of before moving to the US) is the "biggest shopping day before Christmas". Blah blah blah. But really... how can anyone love Thanksgiving more than Christmas?

What does Thanksgiving mean to me? Work. Dinner. Sometimes with family. But usually work (I guess that would be specific to nurses like me, huh?) But it doesn't hold a special place in my heart like Christmas does. Because I actually have this whole Thanksgiving Eve and Day off this year, I am cooking dinner, and invited my very good friend and her family since they didn't have anyone coming over either. So at least I will have people over, and perhaps it will be a little more of a celebration than the past few years when it's just the 5 of us. And really, Johnny couldn't care less if I cooked turkey or we had fast food. (He hates for me to go to all that trouble, but appreciates a nice home cooked meal).

But Thanksgiving will never hold that place in my heart like Christmas does. I have had Christmas tunes on in my car for about 2 weeks now (and listening to it right now on Sirius through my computer). I have been extra excited about Christmas this year for some reason. Once Halloween was over, I was ready for Christmas decorations. I bought a bunch of new ones this year, and they're sitting out, ready to be put up. Once the dishes are done from Thanksgiving, our decorations are going up! :)

So... here's my list of what I love about Thanksgiving and Christmas:

Thanksgiving
Turkey
Dinner with family and friends
Pumpkin Pie

OK.... I just realized the question you're supposed to ask is "what am I most thankful for"?
My family
My husband
My children
My home (my dream home)
My job (although I complain about it, I am thankful I have one and bring home good money)
My schedule at work (2 days a week, get paid for 3... can't beat that)
Never have to shovel snow
Cloth Diapers
Breastfeeding
Being able to afford everything we need, plus some extras
The internet (and being able to communicate with everyone except my sister, who doesn't have internet!)
My Dad is retiring in 3 months!!
The cuddle Max just gave me

Christmas
Santa
Presents (giving, not receiving)
Decorations
My tree
Being with family
Christmas music - it's timeless. Some of the best music ever was written for the Christmas season. Who can beat the songs sung by Bing Crosby, The Carpenters, Dean Martin, Johnny Mathis (and the Hanukkah Song Parts 1, 2, and 3 by Adam Sandler!)
Watching my kids open their presents (it brings back my own childhood memories)
My childhood memories... my Dad waking us up before the crack of dawn with a bright light and a video camera.... I remember one Christmas morning waking up to a fresh blanket of white snow and thinking how Santa must have used Rudolph last night!
Stockings
Christmas Dinner
Eating chocolate from our stockings for breakfast
My Dad's old work socks (they were huge and yellow) that we used as stockings
Christmas Movies and Shows - Miracle on 34th Street, Rudolph, Frosty, It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol, White Christmas
Being at home, in front of my own Christmas tree, Christmas morning, opening all our gifts and stockings.
Christmas Morning - opening gifts
Christmas eve - being home with family, watching Christmas movies and letting the kids open their one gift before they go to bed


Well... that's a bit about me and what I love. What about everyone else? No matter which holiday you prefer, I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving! And to my Canadian followers... you guys already had your turkey... but enjoy some online shopping on Friday! I know I will!! Even my store is having a kick ass Black Friday sale! :)

2 comments:

Clark Family Blog said...

Mine are Halloween and Christmas but Thanksgiving holds a dear spot as I went into labor with Kyle during Thanksgiving dinner and had him early the next morning. Just had to share!

Stephanee said...

So no Black Friday shopping for you that year, huh?! Happy Birthday to Kyle! :)