Saturday, July 4, 2009

Horny Toad Update

Last night the horny toad made so much noise, he/she attracted a mate. So we had two of them in the back yard making a lot of noise. So much noise, in fact, that the neighbors caled the police about "a goat or a duck" in someone's backyard. So at 11:30pm the police were banging on our door. We showed the nice officer the toad in our pool (he was in there AGAIN!) and he had a chuckle and went on his merry way. I plucked both toads out of the pool and came inside. I heard them making their croaking noise until at least 4am.

This morning I went out there and sure enough, they were in the pool again. I guess they like salt water (chlorine would have killed them). As I was waiting for them to surface (every time they see me they dive to the bottom of the pool) I noticed how dirty the pool was from the storm last night. Upon closer inspection... I notice EGGS!!!!! They procreated in my pool!! There were
hundreds of Colorado River Toad eggs in my pool!! All over the vacuum hose, all over the side of the pool, and on a stray leaf. Imagine all the tadpoles we would have!! I imagine pools were used for breeding grounds on a lot of the abandoned pools around here.

I feel bad that the vacuum is going to suck them all up when it comes on in an hour and a half. But such is life!



2 comments:

Becky said...

That is crazy!

ShanaM said...

They were sure busy bees, I mean, busy toads!!!!!