So, the frog saga continues. Yesterday morning there was one in the pool. So I finally got smart and put him in a bucket. I had planned to take him to one of the community lakes around here. But I knew the other one was around.... and wanted to take them both tegether. So I left him in the bucket and when I came home from work this morning... wifey was in the pool. I plucked her out and put her in the bucket too. So here they are together. Probably a one night stand gone bad... thinking they would never see each other again... how awkward. LOL :) And just in case you're interested... the frog on the left is the girl and the one on the right is the male. How do I know that? Lots of Googling! The males have bigger front toes than the females. :)
So... Johnny cleaned the pool yesterday... lots of acid and shock. But I did take out a couple leaves out of th epool that had eggs on them and put them in the kids' water table (which was full of rain water). Not sure what I was thinking... but I did read it takes 2-12 days for the eggs to hatch into tadpoles... and the tadpoles "mature" in about a month into frogs.
So... Johnny cleaned the pool yesterday... lots of acid and shock. But I did take out a couple leaves out of th epool that had eggs on them and put them in the kids' water table (which was full of rain water). Not sure what I was thinking... but I did read it takes 2-12 days for the eggs to hatch into tadpoles... and the tadpoles "mature" in about a month into frogs.
Try 24 hours!!!! We have tadpoles!!!! No idea what I am going to do with them.... I leave for vacation in 8 days. Probably keep them for a few days so the boys can see them grow a bit, then release them into one of the community lakes (where they will probably get eaten). Anyone local to me want some tadpoles?
I think it's an
****UPDATE****
Just found out the true species... they're not Colorado River Toads like I assumed... they're called Couch's Spadefoot. Their tadpoles can turn into "toadlets" in as little as 8 days! Wow! http://www.reptilesofaz.org/Turtle-Amphibs-Subpages/h-s-couchii.html
1 comment:
Very cool !!
Post a Comment