
So our front yard tree fell over in a storm last week. Woke up Thursday morning to my beautiful Sweet Acacia on its side. I called my gardener to come hoist it back up (this isn't the first time it fell over). "No way" he told me. It's a pretty big, very heavy tree. He showed me there were no roots on the side that fell, and the side it landed on snapped the roots. I was heart broken. But better now and not in 10 years when it would have gone through my neighbour's garage (no damage to his house this time, thankfully!). So my gardener sent me to a local nursery (I didn't even know this place existed!). They had TONS of

trees to choose from. I wanted something different... no thorns, has flowers (Sweet Acacia has sharp thorns and pretty yellow tufts of flowers in the spring). So the guy showed me about 10 different trees ... one we walked past he casually mentioned the name as we walked to another tree. But this tree caught my eye... white bark like the birch trees from back home. It was a Palo Blanco. No thorns, and has white flowers. BINGO!! He said they don't even carry that tree.... it was a return from one of the landscape companies. I was very happy with my choice... it's a smaller tree than the Acacia, and it won't have the shady canopy.... so our yard will have much more light now! People that have come over in the past few days comment on how totally different our yard looks now... and wonder initially if they're at the right house! I am already envisioning the Christmas lights that will go on that tree next December!! :) But it most definitely needs to do a lot of growing! Poor little thing can't even handle my bird feeders or hummingbird feeders... have to find some shepherd hooks for them now!

No comments:
Post a Comment