Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Motherhood makes it all worth it

Yesterday was a better day for puking. Nicolas even insisted on going to school (even though i planned not to take him and slept until 8:15). He got up and got dressed and told me to take him to school. So he go there around 8:45 (and finishes at 10:30). I made an appointment for Max to see his pediatrician. I could see a different doctor in the morning, or his usual doctor at 4pm. I didn't want to wait that long, but didn't want to see anyone else. So we took the 4pm appointment and got there early.

Max still had a fever, retractions, bad cough, and slightly runny nose. He actually let the ped listen to his chest. I was amazed. She heard fine crackles. :( She ordered a chest x-ray, antibiotics, a follow up appointment, continue the care I have been doing at home... and prepare for a possible hospital admission to treat his pneumonia. She said pneumonia has been common in her practice this winter and some kids just don't respond to the oral antibiotics. And some kids are getting a strep pneumonia. UGH. I don't have time for a hospital admission.

We didn't have time for the x-ray yesterday, so we went today. But after the doctor's appointment we came back home to get Nicolas ready for Karate (he's a BLUE belt now!!). He has sparring this week, so he got to kick some butt. :) After karate we all got in the car and were going to go to McDonalds for dinner so he could play at the indoor play area... then the coughing started. And he proceeded to puke. All over himself and his booster seat. So more freaking laundry... and I had to clean my car seat (luckily it's leather... but it still smelled like puke) and clean his booster seat (which is not leather). And we decided to eat dinner at home. :)

So, I took Max for his x-ray this morning. I got the call from the ped this afternoon about the results. Mild left sided pneumonia. Follow up CXR in 1-2 weeks and if he gets worse, call. But for now, no hospital admission! Woo Hoo! The antibiotics seem to have kicked in fast. He hasn't had a high fever all day, and Ihaven't given any cough medicine. He's still under the weather, but he is definitely in a bit of better spirits than yesterday and Sunday.

And of course, when I gave him his dose of antibiotic before bed time... he puked.

Ahhh... motherhood. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

1 comment:

ShanaM said...

Poor little Max.
(Maybe Emma will do the laundry for you??)